A *Must Read* for anyone involved in activism…no matter what the cause.
Note: As someone whose activism file grew exponentially following my own university conference presentation in New York back in ‘07 (and the subsequent publication on AETA…the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, a 2006 law targeting activists whose protest actions lead to a “loss of profits” for the Big Ag industry) I can say with confidence that Shapiro’s work to pull back the curtain is the most positive thing for activists in the U.S. in ages.
. . .
He set out to learn how the FBI came to view animal rights activists as the nation’s “number one domestic terrorism threat" and uncovered a method for revealing FBI files on activists of any kind.
Ryan Shapiro has just wrapped up a talk at Boston’s Suffolk University Law School, and as usual he’s surrounded by a gaggle of admirers.
The crowd, consisting of law students, academics, and activist types, is here for a panel discussion on the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, a 2006 law targeting activists whose protest actions lead to a “loss of profits” for industry. Shapiro, a 37-year-old Ph.D. student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, contributed a slideshow of newspaper headlines, posters, and government documents from as far back as the 1800s depicting animal advocates as a threat to national security.
Now audience members want to know more about his dissertation and the archives he’s using. But many have a personal request: Would Shapiro help them discover what’s in their FBI files? To find out why they are asking this question, click here.
16 Notes/ Hide
- gruclub likes this
- oceansdream likes this
- additiveandcrueltyfree reblogged this from sykadella
- sisa-savon-seutuyhtyma-trash-cag reblogged this from notforpublicconsumption
- etela-savon-kauppakamari-isbe-oy reblogged this from notforpublicconsumption
- hippiegirlsrock likes this
- additiveandcrueltyfree likes this
- sykadella reblogged this from notforpublicconsumption
- sykadella likes this
- shityoushouldcareabout likes this
- madmookie likes this
- youdidntsayyesdidyou likes this
- doctorfurious reblogged this from notforpublicconsumption
- youaredeeplyfucked likes this
- doctorfurious likes this
- notforpublicconsumption posted this